UN Job Careers – Senior Communications Associate – United Nations World Food Programme(WFP)
UN Job Careers – Senior Communications Associate – United Nations World Food Programme (WFP)
Organization: United Nations World Food Programme (WFP)
Duty Station: Uganda
The UN World Food Programme (WFP) is the United Nations frontline agency against world hunger. It is the largest and longest serving humanitarian agency in Uganda. Currently WFP focuses on three priority areas: Saving lives in Emergencies; Building Resilience through Predictable Safety Nets; Improving Nutrition & Mother-and Child Health; and Supporting Small Holder Farmers to Access Markets. WFP has operations in various parts of the Country.
Job Summary: The Senior Communications Associate is expected to Design, Manage, and Facilitate the implementation of C4D/community engagement plans in the southwest region in alignment with WFP’s Communications and Advocacy Plan (2018-2020). Additionally, undertake roles for internal and external communications and engagement
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinate and facilitate stakeholder mapping exercises
- Develop and enhance strong partnerships with refugees and host community groups, leaders, local governments and other partners for strong buy-in, participation and ownership around WFP’s food assistance, including social and behavioral changes for Zero Hunger
- Oversee implementation of activities for enhanced Accountability to Affected Populations including WFP’s toll-free helpline
- Coordinate gathering of voices for influencing, policy advocacy and storytelling among refugees and host communities
- Support dissemination and advocacy around research findings and policy statements through strategic engagements and events
- Work with field teams and partners to develop, pre-test and roll out IEC/behavioral change materials (such as instructional videos, radio packages, posters and flyer) for awareness-creation and education.
- Coordinate campaigns and other public outreaches and the design, development and roll out of related materials
- Develop manuals and staff guidelines for C4D.
- Work with the field teams to form structures, train staff and community members to facilitate C4D.
- Work with local media partners to promote Zero Hunger agenda, targeting policy makers through strategic and cost-effective approaches
- Generate content and design packages for internal communication
- Mobilize staff around WFP’s new Communication Plan
- Support generation of stories and visuals for WFP’s external communication sites
- Oversee implementation with SOP for WFP and donor branding and profile raising take on other duties for Transformation of Communications.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the United Nations UN World Food Programme (WFP) Senior Communications Associate job placement should hold a Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Development Studies, Social Work, Community Mobilization or related studies
- At least three years’ experience working with local governments among refugees and host populations around C4D
- Work experience with non-governmental organizations affiliated with WFP or its sister UN agencies
- Understanding of transformational development and dynamics around refugees and host populations
- Experience with stills photography, video production and storytelling
- Experience with working successfully in cross-cultural teams
- Ability to clearly communicate complex ideas and principles and to tailor messages to varying audiences
- High level of cross-cultural interpersonal skills, personal maturity and proven ability to influence multiple stakeholders
- Strong understanding of WFP communication techniques and activities and awareness of the socio-political context in which WFP operates through day to day work
- The applicant should have provided coaching or training to new staff members within area of expertise
- Language: Proficiency in English language (oral and written). Knowledge of French, Kiswahili, Kinyarwanda, Kirundi or southwestern local languages is highly desirable
- Media and Influencer Relationship Management: Demonstrates ability to respond to and/or escalate needs of media and influencers within own scope of responsibility to raise the profile of WFP, build relationships and further organisational aims.
- Media and Communication Expertise: Collates accurate and timely information presented in required format (i.e. written or visual materials) as well as verbally, to enable information flows and informed decision making on communications issues.
- Specialised Knowledge in Communications: Demonstrates specialised knowledge of technical communications best practice. Contributes directly to the development of effective communication materials in various media through defined specialised processes and activities, which supports defined communication work plans and strategies.
- Sociopolitical Contextual Understanding: Shows good understanding of the multilateral/interagency environment and the dynamics in which WFP operates to formulate recommendations to management which will inform decision making.
- Communication Strategy and Planning: Demonstrates good understanding of WFP communications strategy. Effectively develops, evaluates, updates and implements tailored media and communications plans within area of responsibility which support delivery of the strategy.
NB: Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
How to Apply:
All candidates who desire to join the United Nations World Food Programme are encouraged to submit their applications online at the link below.
Deadline: 26th May 2019