Assc. Executive Officer at United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) January, 2022
Get information related to unhcr online application, Nafasi za kazi UNHCR - UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR) Jobs, UNHCR Jobs Vacancy, Employment, Nafasi za kazi UNHCR 2022
Grade: IICA-1 (Eqv.P2)
Duty Station: Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Duration: One year
Start Date: 15 February 2022
Issue Date: 17 January 2022
Closing Date: 31 January 2022
General Background (Brief description of the national, sector-specific or other relevant context in which the individual contractor will operate)
The Office of the UNHCR was established on 14 December 1950 by the Un General Assembly. The agency is mandated to lead and co-ordinate international action to protect refugees and resolve refugee problems worldwide. Its primary purpose is to safeguard the rights and well-being of refugees. It strives to ensure that everyone can exercise the right to seek asylum and find safe refuge in another State, with the option to return home voluntarily, integrate locally or to resettle in a third country. The incumbent will work under the direct supervision of the UNHCR Representative in Tanzania who is the sole and overall responsible of the Tanzania operation involving Sub Office Kigoma, Field Office Kibondo, Field Office Kasulu and Field Unit Dodoma.
The UNHCR Representative is a member of the United Nations Country Management Team (UNCMT) which comprises all Heads of UN agencies operating in Tanzania. For record keeping purposes, the incumbent might be required to attend meetings of the UNCMT as well as meeting convened by the Representative for briefings with donors and general operation meetings involving the senior management team of the UNHCR offices in the country.
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
Guidance will be given by the supervisor. The Associate Executive Officer liaises with colleagues within the same office, at HQ, and in the field, on matters of non-routine significance in order to prepare documents for the Representative and manage the flow of information. 2 Regular contacts with external parties, including UN office, donors and International organizations, are made to provide the Representative’s contacts with background information on relevant topics prior to meetings, to respond queries on behalf of the supervisor at his/her discretions and to obtain assistance of others on matters of relevant to the office.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Representative, the incumbent will undertake the following responsibilities:
Accountability (key results that will be achieved)
• The supervisor is provided support by managing the flow of information and communications, prioritizing and highlighting issues that need addressing.
• Background documents for meetings are prepared in time.
Responsibility (process and functions undertaken to achieve results)
• Assist in managing the flow of information to the supervisor, in identifying priority matters that need to be urgently addressed by the supervisor and in proposing actions; analyze supporting documentation and summarize most relevant points for the supervisor; contribute to ensuring that appropriate action is taken by responsible Section Heads on matters brought to the attention of the supervisor.
• Assist in following-up on policies and instructions presented by the supervisor. Keep the supervisor aware of developments in UNHCR’s major world-wide operations and of policy issues related directly to UNHCR or to humanitarian issues under the broader UN system.
• Assist the supervisor in the preparation of statements that represent UNHCR’s overall policies and which highlight specific areas of concern. Propose and draft substantive correspondence for the supervisor.
• Confer with Section Heads to secure timely and authoritative information relevant to matters requiring action, decisions or the signature of the supervisor.
• Ensure that the supervisor is prepared for meetings and missions by drafting talking points, by researching relevant information; and by establishing contacts (within and outside UNHCR) on the subject matters to be discussed.
• Accompany the supervisor to meetings and on missions in order to prepare notes on the discussions, ensure follow-up in matters raised, and support the supervisor with any relevant input.
• Support the supervisor in efforts to raise the profile of UNHCR and the agency’s concerns within the context of the broader United Nations system.
• Contribute to coordinating drafts of position papers and other documents relevant to the activities of the Office.
• Ensure that high-level visitors are appropriately addressed, that they receive background information as necessary, and that protocol is respected.
• Perform other related duties as required.
Authority (decisions made in executing responsibilities and to achieve results)
• Prioritise tasks and organize work independently.
• Select and make pertinent abstracts and search for information.
• Have access to sensitive and confidential information.
Essential Minimum Qualifications and Professional Experience
• Undergraduate degree (equivalent of a BA/BS) in Political Science, International Relations, Law or other related fields plus minimum 3 years of previous work experience relevant to the function; or Graduate degree (equivalent of a Master’s) plus 2 years; or Doctorate degree (equivalent of a PhD) plus 1 year of previous relevant work experience may also be accepted.
• Proven drafting and editing skills.
• Excellent communication skills.
• A proven ability to act with discretion and diplomacy is essential for this function.
• Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
• Good knowledge and experience of UNHCR operations.
• Working language of Swahili (written, spoken).
How to apply
The Expression of Interest for the position should be sent by email to:
The Senior Human Resources Officer
UNHCR Representation Dar es Salaam
Email: [email protected]
The vacancy notice number must be quoted on the application/motivation letter.
The Personnel History Form (P11) found in the below link must also be completed and attached.
Please note that UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing, training or any other fees).
Due to the volume of applications only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Qualified female and candidates with disabilities are encouraged to apply