Strategy Director at Palladium Tanzania January, 2022
Job Position: Productivity for Prosperity (P4P) Strategy Director
About Palladium – Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact – the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with governments, businesses, and investors to solve the world’s most pressing challenges. With a team of more than 3,000 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of over 35,000 experts, we help improve economies, societies and, most importantly, people’s lives.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion – We welcome applications from all sections of society and actively encourage diversity to drive innovation, creativity, success and good practice. We positively welcome and seek to ensure we achieve diversity in our workforce; and that all job applicants and employees receive equal and fair treatment regardless of their background or personal characteristics. These include: (but are not limited to) socio-economic background, age, race, gender identity, religion, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability, nationality, veteran, marital or Indigenous status.
Should you require any adjustments or accommodations to be made due to a disability or you are a neurodivergent individual or any other circumstance, please email our team at [email protected]
Safeguarding – We define Safeguarding as “the preventative action taken by Palladium to protect our people, clients and the communities we work with from harm”. We are committed to ensuring that all children and adults who come into contact with Palladium are treated with respect and are free from abuse. All successful candidates will be subject to an enhanced selection process including safeguarding-focused interviews and a rigorous due diligence process.
Project Overview and Role:
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
FCDO’s Productivity for Prosperity (P4P) will be a sustainable economic transformation programme that will look to increase labour productivity and climate-resilience in Tanzania’s job-creating sectors. It will achieve this through private sector development (investment facilitation, trade facilitation and building capabilities of firms) and business environment reform (supporting proportionate and predictable regulation). P4P will also provide a single streamlined platform to support the UK’s economic and climate diplomacy in Tanzania, in partnership with CDC and the Department for International Trade.
The key responsibilities of the Strategy Director are outlined below. It is to be noted that these are not exhaustive and may evolve with the delivery of the programme.
- Bring and/or develop and manage strong working relationships with the programme’s contact points at FCDO, and potentially other donor programmes.
- Represent the programme towards FCDO, manage closely relationships with FCDO in Tanzania; and put forward FCDO’s P4P objectives at the highest level possible and throughout the duration of the programme to ensure impact.
- Develop strong working relationships and a regular dialogue on programme progress and challenges with Palladium’s core team and the client.
- Maintain a strong working relationship with the Programme Director.
- Lead on the development of the programme’s overarching strategy in collaboration with the Programme Director and Manager, and on any potential updates during the implementation period.
- Support the Programme Manager in developing an approach where all workstream and activities are strategically coherent, focused and effective.
- Act as primary point of contact to FCDO Tanzania to discuss strategic planning throughout the duration of the programme.
- Assume overall responsibility for the development and management of P4P’s overarching strategy and engage with relevant stakeholders to ensure it stays coherent with the programme’s objectives throughout the duration of the programme.
- Provide guidance, oversight and quality assurance to P4P programme leadership on how the programme’s strategy can be related to the programme’s activities, outputs and deliverables.
- Monitor implementation progress; work to resolve issues, manage and mitigate risks; and escalate material issues and risks as appropriate.
- Support the Programme Director and Political Director, when relevant, in preparing high level discussions with FCDO and in developing any internal/external-facing documents related to the programme.
- Coach and offer feedback and advice and technical input in and when required.
- Recruit, hire and manage staff and consultants as needed to carry out activities.
- Ensure the project provides and demonstrates Value for Money.
- Ensure the programme adheres to the budget and oversee budget variations and contract amendments.
- Substantial experience in successfully managing large market systems development programmes.
- Strong experience in developing and communicating clear strategic visions and overseeing their implementation.
- Experience working with development organisations in Tanzania on private sector development.
- Very good understanding of the political economy in Tanzania.
- Strong expertise in building and managing programmatic relationships with high level stakeholders from government, civil society and donors.
- Understanding of UK preferential trading arrangements and sectoral knowledge.
- Strong experience in managing complex teams