Deputy Chief of Party – Technical Jobs Vacancy at Abt Associates February, 2022
Deputy Chief of Party – Technical Jobs Vacancy at Abt Associates | Abt associates tanzania jobs
Abt Associates seeks a qualified Gender Inclusion Lead for an anticipated USAID-funded agriculture program in Tanzania, which will aim to increase the commercialization, inclusiveness, and competitiveness of horticulture market systems. In particular, the Activity will create opportunities for women and youth by addressing behaviors in the market system that exclude individuals based on cultural, political or social biases. The Activity will encourage private sector strengthening along the entire value chain, as well as social and behavior change communication to influence attitudes and perceptions to promote gender inclusion. This position is contingent upon contract award to Abt Associates.
The Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP) – Technical will provide strategic leadership, management, and technical direction in horticulture market systems strengthening and will support the project team, and counterparts in the implementation of activities. The DCOP will provide managerial and technical support to the Chief of Party (COP), assisting in areas including work planning, performance management, engagement with local counterparts, and strategic communications. He/she will provide strategic leadership and direction so that program components are results-oriented, deliverables are high quality, and reporting is relevant and timely leading to the achievement of program goals. The position is contingent upon contract award to Abt Associates.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides managerial and operational support to the COP, assisting in areas including work planning, performance management, continuous learning, and strategic communications. This includes working closely with Abt’s home office, COP and project leads to develop work plans and monitor activity timelines.
- Provide substantive involvement regarding development of technical management and oversight for the accomplishment of the objectives of the activity including the supervision of project technical leads.
- Support reporting, update and implementation of the technical strategies, identifying technical assistance needs, and mobilizing required technical resources and staff. Responsible for harmonizing the objectives of the activity specifically ensuring effective complementary and efficient implementation.
- Leads and oversees all technical assistance, including those delivered by subcontractors and grantees, across the Horticulture Activity’s priority technical areas.
- Contributes to the development of the Activity Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Plan (AMELP)
- Supports a culture of learning and adaptive management by contributing to data analysis and applying key learnings from knowledge generated to adapt program activities as appropriate.
- Together with the COP, serves as a senior manager to ensure activities are in compliance with USAID rules and regulations and activities meet program targets.
- Supervises the technical team composed of market linkage, productivity, technology commercialization, policy and enabling environment, and risk and resilience specialists.
- Works closely and maintain positive relationship with USAID officials, implementing partners, regional organizations and other stakeholders in support of activity goals.
- Provides guidance and training to managers and staff to achieve activity objectives and intermediate results.
- 13-15 years of relevant professional experience with a Masters Degree, or 8-10 years with a Doctorate in a related subject area such as public health, economics, health finance, or something similar.
- Demonstrated technical expertise in advancing horticulture market systems strengthening.
- At least 3 years of management experience over professional teams
- Proven experience working in leadership roles on international development projects funded by USAID
- Advanced written and oral communications skills. Must be adept at writing and editing quarterly and annual reports for donor, internal, and external program stakeholders.
- Strong relationship management skills, with demonstrated experience successfully managing relationships with donors and other internal and external program stakeholders and partners.
- Demonstrated ability to implement successful performance management systems.
- Demonstrated leadership experience and ability to work with minimum of direction and supervision.
- Strong management and planning skills of activity tasks and budgets.
- Demonstrated team building and team management leading to high quality work in a timely, cost effective manner.
- Excellent writing skills required.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal communication, and computer skills.
- Verbal and written fluency in English is required.