Apply For the Consultancy to Develop a Gender Policy and Manual for MKUTA 2023
Apply For the Consultancy to Develop a Gender Policy and Manual for MKUTA 2023
MKUTA looking for Gender Training Manual Development Consultant, Consultancy - "Gender Responsive Planning and Budgeting, Consultant: Development of a gender framework, Policy Development Manual for Gender
Advert Reference #: MKT/CB/RFP/22/586
Consultancy Type: Individual OR Company/Firm
Location: Open Sourcing
Application Deadline: 31 January 2023 (2359Hours EAT)
Engagement Type: Vendor / Consultant
Language Required: English and Swahili are prime
Issue date: 26 January 2023
Mwitikio wa Kudhibiti Kifua Kikuu na UKIMWI Tanzania (MKUTA), is a national umbrella organization for partner Community-Based Organizations (CBOs) formed by former tuberculosis (TB) patients in Tanzania providing community-based TB and TB/HIV services, and promoting access to essential treatment among the general population with priority to key and vulnerable populations.
The goal of MKUTA’s work is to strengthen community awareness on TB and HIV and decrease stigmatization of those living with TB and HIV, improve early case detection and assist patients in their treatment to ensure treatment completion and cure. MKUTA supports its members to reduce the burden of TB and HIV in Tanzania. The Organization was founded and registered in 2009 with registration number ooNGO/R/0137. Since its inception, the organization has had 125 District TB Clubs. MKUTA Headquarters are located at Plot 455 Kiko Avenue, Off Mwai Kibaki Road, Mikocheni B, Kinondoni, Dar es Salaam. MKUTA Postal Address: 14461 Dar es Salaam.
About the Project
With funding from the USAID-funded New Partnerships Initiative Expanding Health Partnerships (NPI EXPAND) project, Tanzania Health Promotion Support (THPS), has sub granted MKUTA to implement a capacity-strengthening project focusing on communication, advocacy, branding, gender, and family planning. NPI EXPAND is a five-year global cooperative agreement project (7200AA19CA00015) funded by the USAID and implemented by Palladium International LLC (Palladium) with the ultimate goal of increasing the availability and utilization of high-quality services through new and underutilized local partners (NUPs). As a local partner, MKUTA through this support will aim to mainstream gender in the organization as well as services to enhance gender equality and social inclusion approach throughout its strategies for different priority plans, and projects from screening for funding to implementation. Through gender mainstreaming MKUTA will integrate the needs of all people; improve the quality of MKUTA policies that are more effective, improve
programs and projects, ensuring more efficient allocation of resources. In addition, with gender mainstreaming there will be more effective governance with visible presence of gender equality and better results reflected in increased well-being for both women and men, boys and girls supported in MKUTA projects and the creation of a more socially just and sustainable society.
Purpose and deliverables
The broad objective of this consultancy is to strengthen policies and practices for gender integration within MKUTA, whereas the specific objectives are;
- Develop a gender integration framework and provide guidance on integrating gender in MKUTA project cycles.
- Conduct gender analysis and develop a plan of action for gender mainstreaming into the entire organization as well as projects to produce gender awareness and transformative projects
- Conduct on-job training and orientation to MKUTA staff on gender integration and mainstreaming
- Develop MKUTA gender policy documents with clearly defined requirements indicating the actors in charge of implementing gender equality-related task
The Consultancy should be conducted in line with the principles outlined in the approved Terms of Reference (ToR) that will be issued to only successful applicant/consultant.
- The consultant should have both personal and professional integrity and abide by the Tanzanian Ethical Guidelines to ensure that the rights of individuals involved in the assignment are respected.
- The evaluator must act with cultural sensitivity and pay attention to protocols, codes and recommendations that may be relevant to their interactions with beneficiaries.
- As part of the Inception Report, the Consultant will develop a specific protocol to be used and data collection in line with respecting do not harm, diversity and gender equality.
- All data collected through this assignment is property of MKUTA and must be provided to the organization, if requested, in a word format.
Management and Implementation Arrangements.
- This assignment will be facilitated by MKUTA Executive Director.
- The focal point for leading this assignment from MKUTA will be appointed by the Executive Director.
- The individual consultant or firm will be invited for an interview where s/he will present her/his approach to undertake the assignment.
- Key experts and partners shall be invited to the presentation of preliminary findings, and their feedback shall be incorporated into the final inception report.
- The inception and final report will be finally approved by the Executive Director of MKUTA.
- Evaluation of the Gender Policy & Manual provided by the Consultant and required competencies.
- The Gender Mainstreaming Framework and Manual will be assessed whether it meets all required components, modules and/or chapters as advertised.
- The independent Individual Consultant is, therefore, required to do the assignment using the stipulated plan/criteria.
- Given that subject-specific knowledge is required, the consultant would need to demonstrate strong technical knowledge and expertise in gender sensitivity, inclusivity and mainstreaming.
- Additionally, the consultant should demonstrate expertise in health communication with proven experience in conducting such consultancies in health NGOs.
- The consultant should have a strong understanding on gender equality and sensitivity as well as language capability to produce high quality reports in English and interact comfortably with local audiences in Swahili
- Other factors considered during the evaluation include; cover letter, the credentials on offer and brief interview (optional) and the offer which gives the best value for money for MKUTA.
Qualification and experience
- MKUTA is looking for a consultant/firm having the following set of skills, knowledge and experience.
- The Gender Expert should have a postgraduate university degree in gender, public health, social sciences, or another relevant discipline, preferably with a specialization in gender.
Technical and Functional Experience
The Gender Expert should have:
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in gender equality and gender mainstreaming
- Professional training in gender analysis and gender planning.
- Experience in developing gender strategies and supporting organizations to mainstream gender in projects and programs, especially in health.
- Thorough understanding of the gender context in Tanzania, and experience working with Government Institutions and international or non-governmental organizations supporting gender and development work in the specific area of intervention
- Familiarity with gender analysis tools and methodologies in the specific area of intervention;
- Strong communication skills, and ability to liaise with various stakeholders, including government officials
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and Swahili
Duration of Assignment
- The contract will be supervised by the Executive Director – MKUTA.
- The strategy shall be delivered within 14 days from the contract date.
HOW TO APPLY
- To apply please send application to [email protected] not later than 31st January 2023. The application should contain:
- Cover letter outlining relevant individual/firm experiences & explaining why you are the most suitable candidate for the advertised assignment
- For individual applicants: Updated CV to include qualifications/competencies and relevant past experience in similar projects and contact details of 3 professional referees who can certify your competencies, professionalism, quality of writing, presentation and overall suitability to this ToR
- For firms: Submit capacity statement focusing on similar projects and CVs of three (3) firm staff expected to lead the project, copies of legal and tax clearance documents.
Please note that ONLY selected consultant will receive full Terms of Reference and will be required to develop inception report and the financial proposal