Tanzania Safe Water Project Manager at UpEnergy 2023
Tanzania Safe Water Project Manager at UpEnergy 2023
Are you looking for safe water project manager jobs near dar es salaam, project manager jobs tanzania, project manager salary in tanzania, project manager jobs in water industry, jobs at upenergy Tanzania
Tanzania Safe Water Project Manager
Business Development · Dar es salaam, Dar es salaam
UpEnergy (www.upenergygroup.com) brings aspirational products that save energy and improve health within reach of low-income customers. We develop distribution channels that distribute efficient and clean energy and safe water technologies. We finance our product subsidies and our growth via bespoke projects that generate carbon emissions reductions that we produce for global partners seeking emissions reductions and social impact co-benefits.
We distribute cookstoves under our Community Jiko Bora brand, and through partnerships with other brands. We operate regional distribution hubs and build relationships directly with customers through our sales operation. We’ve seen 100%+ year on year growth for years and have reached over 1,000,000+ African households with products that deliver health and income benefits. In Malawi, Zambia, Mozambique, and Tanzania we install safe water systems in institutions throughout the country. We have now supported 50,000+ school children with clean and safe drinking water.
UpEnergy has a 10-year track record of building projects that overperform expectations in the generation of emissions reductions, and that deliver on our performance promises to our customers. We are one of the largest developers by volume of projects focused on poverty alleviation through energy savings and fuel switching. Our team has a collective 50 years of climate finance experience and is at the forefront of Paris-era project finance.
About the role:
UpEnergy is at a time of exciting growth, and rapidly expanding into new geographies and new product categories. As part of this growth, we require an impact-driven Safe Water Project Manager to spearhead the company’s innovation strategy to ensure thousands of Tanzanians have access to safe drinking water.
The Safe Water Project Manager will work report to the Country Director to support on-the-ground operations to ensure water filter installation targets are met. With ambitious targets, this is an extremely important role to ensure that several moving parts and stakeholders are well coordinated and aligned. This role will require close liaison with other Safe Water technical roles such as Partnerships, Product Development, Customer Services, among others. This role will require frequent travel through the country as the team expands its product reach.
The UpEnergy Safe Water Project Manager is an exciting position that will provide the opportunity to be at the forefront of an emerging safe and clean drinking water sector in Tanzania. If you are eager to gain incredibly rich, hands-on experience while being part of one of the fastest growing social enterprises in Africa and believe you’re up for the challenge (as well as a lot of fun!), we’d love to hear from you!
- Facilitate and lead meetings with government, private sector, NGOs, and other relevant stakeholder for project planning and implementation
- Build partnerships with relevant stakeholders such as those in national, provincial, district levels relevant to the project
- Research the Tanzanian water sector and identify key locations for safe water project implementation
Project Planning and Management
- Oversee institutional safe water project implementation in Tanzania
- Develop annual and monthly work plans following the scope of work
- Develop monitoring plans for project tracking
- Follows up with each technical team to ensure project tasks are completed and provides support where needed
- Coordinate with cross-functional teams (partnerships, marketing, product development, customer services, data, and carbon) to ensure successful implementation of institutional water systems
- Support the Head of Safe Water and Country Director to update the scope of work based on lessons learned
- Regularly report progress made to achieving the scope of work as it relates to project planning and budgeting to Head of Safe Water, Country Director, finance manager, and other relevant UpEnergy stakeholders
- Facilitate team meetings to ensure coordination and continuously document lessons learned
- Track and escalate issues accordingly to the Head of Safe Water and Country Director
- Identify and mitigate potential project risks to ensure high quality implementation
- Create, maintain, and regularly update internal monitoring databases
- Develop annual and monthly budget following the scope of work
- Optimize household water operational costs
- Review resource requirement and works with the Head of Safe Water to ensure adequate resources are available and managed
- Work with the finance and procurement teams to request resources and finances
Leadership and Human Resources
- Identify and represents UpEnergy at relevant water and climate-related events as needed
- Work with sales and marketing to build UpEnergy’s national presence
- Manage and mentor essential implementation staff for partnerships, customer service, and technicians
Existing and New Product Development
- Work with the Head of Safe Water and Product Development team to develop pilot and experiments to evaluate product-market fit and potential commercial success
- Work with the UpEnergy team to design experiments and small-scale pilots to test new strategies (product features, sales, marketing, pricing, customer engagement, awareness campaigns and others) and evaluate their impact on the business and our customers’ lives
- Based pilot learnings, work with all company functions (sales, marketing, carbon, operations/logistics) to design and implement commercial launch strategy for new products
- Work closely with Head of Safe Water to plan, monitor, and iterate on new technology rollouts
- Work closely with the sales team to design innovative sales strategies covering distribution, pricing mechanisms, promotions, awareness campaigns, etc.
- Work closely with UpEnergy’s data team and carbon team to optimize for continued usage of products
- Design innovative customer engagement programs to build and maintain close relationships with our customers
Does this sound like you?
- 4+ years of experience managing water projects in Tanzania
- Skilled in project management, with an exceptional ability to collaborate, influence, and execute against strategy
- Excellent communication skills (clear and concise) and interpersonal skills
- Innovative mind‐set oriented toward constructive problem‐solving and collaboration with stakeholders from various sectors
- Exceptional organizational skills, attention to detail, resourcefulness, and ability to multi‐task and adjust to changing priorities
- Willing and excited to travel through Tanzania
- Ability to work independently, a self-starter that is excited to work in frontier markets
- Proactive problem solver who initiates troubleshooting to keep the project on track
- Excitement to help a high impact start-up launch operations in a new market
- Strong work ethic, can navigate through uncertainty, identifies as a team player above all else
- MS Excel skills
- Passionate about solving the last-mile distribution challenge for millions of thousands of people in developing markets
- Excited to be part of UpEnergy’s growth story
- Fluency in a written and oral local language in Tanzania
- Must be holder of authorized work permit or have the right to employment in Tanzania
Why Join Us?
Not your average 9-to-5
UpEnergy encourages teamwork, creativity, and we’re not afraid to get our hands dirty. We stay close to our market, understand our customers, and have a lot of fun while doing our work! If you’re looking for a conventional 9-to-5, you’d be missing out on our adventures!
Opportunity to do things in a new way
As one of the largest compliance credit issuers in Africa, we need to be constantly improving and rethinking our way of work. This means endless opportunities for a self-starter to initiate new ways of doing things or experimenting ways to help us improve.
Personal and Career Growth
Wouldn’t it be a pity to spend so much time working but not growing and learning? At UpEnergy we value both personal and professional growth, and we want to grow as a team. From classroom training to coffee chats to performance review, we want to support every team member to grow into the best version they can.
Create Lasting Impact
Our clean energy products bring positive impact to both our planet earth and for the low-income communities we work in. We don’t just focus on sales – we follow up and truly understand our customers to make sure that they continue to benefit from our products. Your work will create much longer-lasting impact than what you can see!